[ExI] don't let your guard down, not for a minute...

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 14:54:18 UTC 2010

You wrote, "Capitalism requires people to do something they possibly may not
wish to do, or even have the ability to do." There is no realistic social system
that can escape that people having to "do something they possibly may not wish
to do, or even have the ability to do." That's a constraint from reality and
people proposing reforms or radical changes can ignore it, but this will not
make it go away.

Also, the problem of ownership is really about control: who gets to control
what. No workable social system can leave this issue alone as long as we live in
a world of scarcity. (And there is no post-scarcity world. There are merely
better or worse ways of dealing with scarcity or different ways in which
scarcity evinces itself. One can pretend scarcity won't exist, that the problem
with go away, but, thus far, this is merely wishful thinking.)

The slogan "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"
-- which, IIRC, Robert Nozick countered with the libertarian slogan "From each
as he[sic] chooses, to each as he[sic] is chosen." -- does not overtly state
ownership, but it's implied that someone will be deciding those abilities and
those needs. (Needs, of all things, are subjective. So, this entails, in any
real social system, some person or group, imposing their subjective preferences
regarding what are considered needs on everyone else. And the same goes for
abilities. The social order attempting to implement "from each according to his
ability, to each according to his needs" will have to decide just what the
abilities of each of society's members are. This will entail central planning of
some sort. Yes, would be social engineers can pretend this is all easy and there
are transparently objective means of figuring this all out, but history and
sound economic theory underscore the problems here and should give pause.)

Also, I don't believe no one is free until everyone's minimum needs are met. Nor
do I believe everyone must wait to be free until that happens. This doesn't mean
I'm against charity or think no one should ever care about helping out a person
who's poor, starving, or otherwise deprived. But it does mean that someone
else's poverty or lack of something or other cannot be used as claim on everyone
else's freedom. In other words, one can't validly and honesty argue that because
X is destitute, Y must be coerced -- any more than one can argue because Y is
coerced, X must be made destitute.

Regarding, too, the subject kicking off this thread -- Castro's recent
admissions during an interview -- I find it strange that a dictator is really
being taken seriously. The guy is merely admitting his social system doesn't
work now. He's not admitting it never worked ever. Nor is he even owning up to
the wrongs he's committed -- which are not of the armchair type of debating the
merits of social sytems, but of the real world type of hurting and killing
people. I may be overly cyncial, but a man who wants to stay in power or have
his clique stay in power and who likely realizes that time is running out, that
his allies are either feeble or abandoning him, is unlikely to be having a
genuine change of heart. Instead, it seems like he sees it's not working out and
his regime, brittle as all dictatorships are, might collapse the moment his
subject realize how utterly weak it is. (And this is the same for all regimes
everywhere: they rule only as long as the ruled go along with it. Once that
support or acquiescence diminishes below a certain level.)

Regards,

Dan