[ExI] POST-SCARCITY SYMBOLS Launched (defeat despair, create utopia, share hope).

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:54:16 UTC 2010

On 9/13/10, Singularity Utopia <singularity.utopia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> This is not a prank. I am not anybody you know, and I value my privacy. I am
> very serious.

I tend to believe you.  But if this is a prank, it is definitely not
funny, anymore.

> I'm an expert various related fields but my research is highly classified,
> which
> is a shame because if I could explain all the details you'd be utterly
> convinced. My research will be declassified by 2020 at the latest and then
> you
> will see how utopia is inevitable.

Well...  I sure wish you could offer up some evidence.  But I don't
see why you can't give us your basic identity (name and where you
live), even if you have signed non-disclosure documents about your
research.  I tend to think English is not your native language
(Italian? Spanish?), but of course I could be wrong.

> Regarding accusations of mental instability I will respond by pointing out
> how
> the Singularity is a crazy dream, which will become real. Dreams are wild
> and
> fantastic things. People shouldn't be afraid to dream. I find some people
> tend
> to be uptight and pessimistic in transhuman/singularity fields therefore I
> was
> attempting to inject some wildly passionate optimism to counter your
> pessimism.

I would say you definitely went "over the top," but perhaps your
than a leap into a psychological abyss.

Something as paradigm crushing/transforming as the Singularity does
lend itself to being seen as a castle in the sky for misguided
dreamers.  Optimism is very important, but needs to be not so
egotistically out of control.  I am fond of your energy and certainty
about the Singularity, but without proof, I consider the odds of you
being a brilliant scientific researcher rather low.

Do you know of Eliezer Yudkowsky?  He would be interested in you, but
only if you could let him know what you are doing regarding
Singularity-related research...

http://yudkowsky.net/

Another person of interest, Michael Anissimov...

http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/blog/

Their organization, The Singularity Institute...

http://singinst.org/

Let me know what you think of these links.

John