[ExI] Memes, genes Gregory Clark

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 03:21:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>wrote:

> But you really need to go deeper and ask why some memes do very well
> in one population and not as well in others?  Why are some people much
> more susceptible to certain memes than others?  And why do some memes
> come and go in the whole population?  I can't answer all these
> questions, but I make the case that the host substrate for memes
> (genetically shaped people) is important.

Are you suggesting that memes require specific physical genetic
characteristics or that people could be genetically predisposed to memetic
influence?  Conversely that some people have genes which could make them
immune to memes?

In our mostly blind to people's differences out of artificially imposed
sense of "fairness" I would not have imagined memes as patterns of thinking
to be tied to something as base as genetics.  However, I can see that
physical characteristics might contribute to certain patterns of thinking.
Ex: PTC/PROP tasters may avoid these thyroid inhibitors and develop thyroid
problems which further modify behavior and thought due to thyroid
imbalance.

[1]
http://www.drpeterjdadamo.com/wiki/wiki.pl/PROP_and_PTC_Taster_Polymorphisms