[ExI] samantha vs singularity debate

Gregory Jones spike66 at att.net
Wed Sep 15 20:53:05 UTC 2010

Watching the interchange between Singulary Utopia and Samantha reminds me of Douglas Hofstadters Eternal Golden Braid struggle between Achilles and Mr. Tortoise.  Singularity Utopia has confidently proposed that we will have infinite this and that, do the impossible, etc. (no need for me to elaborate, you get the picture).

Clearly the paradox I mentioned a few days ago cannot be avoided in that model.  A post singularity infinite AI would master time travel, go back in time to before the horrifying wars of the 20th century (and every other century for that matter), explain to the people living then how to bring about the singularity, which causes the singularity to happen sooner, sparing all that unnecessary suffering.

If that can happen, why didn't it?  Or did it and we just don't know we are post singularity sims?  If so, all our simulated suffering is intentional (or at least voluntary) on the part of some super AI, in which case the post singularity AI is at least partly evil, which breaks SU's model.

I don't know if my own sorrow and joy are real, but it sure feels real from inside here.