[ExI] Domestication

Pat Fallon patrickfallon at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 14:52:34 UTC 2010

Jared Diamond, in Guns, Germs, and Steel, has a nice chapter on why
some mammals were not suitable for domestication. Regarding elephants,
he writes:

"To be worth keeping, domesticates must also grow quickly. That
eliminates gorillas and elephants, even though they are vegetarians
with admirably nonfinicky food preferences and represent a lot of
meat. What would-be gorilla or elephant rancher would wait 15 years
for his herd to reach adult size? Modern Asians who want work
elephants find it much cheaper to capture them in the wild and tame
them.

Pat Fallon