[ExI] A dispassionate examination of being an upload.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 14:59:00 UTC 2010

2010/9/20 Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net>:

> I don't think it's meaningful to try to respond to little one-liners
> such as that. If you have a proposal for upgrading my brain (or any
> other part of me) go ahead and post it to the list in the form of a 20
> page essay that covers how it would work, how it would be accomplished,
> and what benefits it would yield. Spending time trying to evaluate such
> contrived examples would probably be a waste.

A little bit at a time would be replaced with a more durable
functional equivalent. Eventually the whole brain is replaced. We
can't actually do this at present but there isn't anything physically
impossible about it. The question is a philosophical, not a technical
one: if your brain were replaced in this way would you survive?

--
Stathis Papaioannou