[ExI] Nanotubes in the news

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 15:21:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:00 AM,  John Grigg
<possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Considering these nanotubes materials are over 100 times stronger than
> steel, can we *finally* build a damn space elevator?  : )
>
> http://www.bloggingthesingularity.com/2010/09/18/behold-the-strength-of-carbon-nanotubes-health-tech-cnet-news/

"we estimate the maximum applied stress of the nanotubes in this study
to be 99 GPa"

The magic number for a non tapered space elevator cable for carbon
nanotubes is 63 GPa.  So, yes, if this can be done on the scale of
many millions of tons we could have an elevator.  Reasonably fast too
since you would want to make it a fast moving loop.

You still need to build a big ablation laser to clean up all the space
junk that would otherwise eventually run into the cable.

Keith Henson