[ExI] World’s Biggest Supercomputing Superpowers [INFOGRAPHIC]

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 17:15:40 UTC 2010

2010/9/21 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>

> On Sep 21, 2010, at 8:53 AM, Dave Sill wrote:
>
> It's a fact that there are supercomputers not listed on the Top 500.
>

> That could be but I don't know it for a fact.

Earth could be approximately spherical, but, since I haven't circumnavigated
it myself I don't know it for a fact. Actually, I do believe it, even though
I can't prove it and haven't experienced it myself.

The probability that DOD or NSA *don't* have any supercomputers that aren't
listed on the Top 500 is close enough to zero that I'll take it as a fact. I
also have inside information, but I'm not at liberty to share it.

It's interesting that on the list of the 500 most powerful computers in the
> world the microprocessors in all but 3 of the machines were made by Intel
> AMD or IBM, all are companies based in the USA. The three exception were
> number 37, 42 and 383 on the list which had Japanese microprocessors. Nobody
> used Chinese processors including the Chinese.

 It hardly matters. These are commodity chips. China could probably produce
them if they really wanted to, but why bother?

-Dave