[ExI] World’s Biggest Supercomputing Superpowers [INFOGRAPHIC]

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 02:26:27 UTC 2010

2010/9/22 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>

> Several of the computers in the top 500 are classified, nobody will say
> what they are doing or even where they are located, but you are talking
> about something else, hiding the very existence of a machine, and that runs
> into problems.

No, I'm talking about not publishing benchmark results.

> I know absolutely nothing about you, but if you really are part of a top
> secret hyper computer project then you have violated your security oath and
> will certainly get fired from your job and possibly go to prison; certainly
> a court room will be your home away from home for the next several years. If
> you are not part of such a project then you're talking through your hat.

I have mentioned my employer here previously. I'm not part of a "top secret
hyper computer project" and I haven't violated any security oath. And I'm
not talking through my hat. Believe it or not.

Rolls-Royce automobiles are readily available too, but they are not a
> commodity.

They're *not* readily available.

> Producing chips is not the same as controlling an industry.
>
> I rather think it does.

You think what does what? You think AMD controls the microprocessor
industry? I'm sure Intel would beg to differ.

> I have no doubt that they could build a fab and clone AMD or Intel CPUs if
> they *really* wanted to.
>
> And then build a new fab 2 years later when the old one becomes obsolete.

Yeah, you're right. There's no way a country the size of China with their
economy could afford to produce a fab every two years. :rolleyes:

I'm done.

-Dave