[ExI] A suicide note

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Sep 26 06:18:42 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of Bryan Bishop
> List; Bryan Bishop
> Subject: Re: [ExI] A suicide note
>
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM, John Grigg
> note on the Singularity, Judaeism, and Nihilisim, apparently carrying
> out his act as the final test of his philosophy...
> On pages 1688, 1690, 1693-1698 there's an interesting
> critique of James Hughes' thesis. - Bryan

Here's one Bryan might be able to answer.  This evening I was having a
discussion with a 17 yr old girl I tutor in physics and calculus.  She made
a comment about her sister's boyfriend, who is about 20, having the notion
of technological immortality.  I asked about her awareness of the
singularity.  She didn't in those terms, but I was surprised that both she
and her sister had at least a vague notion of cryonics and future
technological innovations which would lead to indefinite human lifespans.

I was surprised that this had gone as mainstream as it appears.  So now the
question for Bryan and the other younger set: is there in your opinion a
general awareness of the singularity, uploading, technological lifespan
extension etc in the current teenage and twenty something crowd?