[ExI] Function of religions

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Mon Sep 27 16:29:43 UTC 2010

Keith and Spike,

I was attending Mormon Sunday School yesterday.  It's pure hell
listening to all the irrational faithless fear mongering, the irrational
worshiping and wallowing in misery they go on and on about there, but it
is very educational to watch them, and to learn what motivates them, and
to find out the real purposes of religion and how hierarchical religions
have evolved to be so successful at taking advantage of people's
sheepish tendencies.

The older lady lay teacher, was leading the discussion.  She started
bringing up how all the 'worldly people' accuse them of being 'closed
minded' and so on.  Our church is in the small town of Sandy, just
outside of SLC.  And she said they always accuse her of being in this
"little sandy bubble" ignorant of the rest of the world.  But she, and
obviously everyone else there, was very proud of that, and she literally
said: "I'm proud of this little Sandy bubble we're in" that she believes
protects them from "the world".

All these people are clearly people that don't enjoy thinking about
moral issues much.  They are far less intelligent than experts that are
intelligent and interested in moral issues.  These types of people have
no hope of standing up to any real argument, against  intelligent moral
experts, so they must have something they can trust and lean on, to do
it for them.  Within humanity, not everyone can be moral experts on
everything, so others must have something they can trust in.   And
obviously these people desperately want some 'prophet' they can trust so
they don't have to think.  Religions have obviosly evolved to take
advantage of the tendency of the normal human to act in such sheepish ways.

But there is clear evidence, that people in general do trust scientists
and proven experts, on certain things.  Especially if they could be the
ones to lay down the criteria of selecting who is and isn't an expert.
So I believe, the only problem is, having a good way to measure for
moral expert and scientific consensus, so that everyone can learn to
know and trust such.  Obviosly, most of us can see there are lots of
moral experts that believe much of what the prophets say is wrong.  But,
since there is not yet some way to measure for this moral expert
consensus, anyone claiming what the prophets are saying is wrong, can
easily be doubted by the religious leaders.

But, if we could measure, and rigorously show that the moral and
scientific expertise is definitively refuting the the hate, war and fear
mongering the popes and prophets are touting is wrong, such that nobody
could refute such, I think there is great hope for humanity to finally
take the power  away from the hierarchical selfish primitive leaders.

I think it's all about knowing, concisely and quantitatively, what the
moral and scientific experts are saying.  And that is precisely our goal
at canonizer.com.  I can't be a moral expert at everything, so would
sure like the help of all you moral experts to help me out, so I no
longer needed to trust in these primitive, selfish, hierarchical
religious leaders, for my moral direction.

What, concisely, are all of you experts saying, and what do you agree
on?  And how much consensus, is there really, for such?  If we can come
up with that, rigorously and definitively, then I think there is hope
for the world.

Brent Allsop