[ExI] Atheists and agnostics know more about religion than believers

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 08:34:57 UTC 2010

"spike" <spike66 at att.net> asked:

> *What is the best refutation of religion you have ever
> seen, heard or read?

Easy.  The bible did it for me when I was a teenager.  I remember reading a great big old traditional brass-bound family bible, and becoming more and more incredulous at how inconsistent, vicious and silly it was, and eventually came to the conclusion that it was total bollocks.

Makes sense that the church has opposed literacy and general education so much throughout the ages, and strongly discourages children from asking sensible questions.  The most powerful argument against them is their own holy book, read by anyone with an education, and/or an intellect that hasn't been bludgeoned into meek obedience.

I suspect the same is true of the koran and Islam, although I've read much less of that, and don't have Islam as a cultural background.  The odd thing to me is that muslims are encouraged to not just read, but memorise large chunks of it, yet this doesn't seem to inoculate them against the nonsense.  Although there is definitely an attitude of "read it, but don't think about it".

Ben Zaiboc