[ExI] [mta] My 80 year old Mother In Law asked about Transhumanism.

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 08:36:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 6:22 AM, John Grigg  wrote:
<snip>
> I think this negative attitude is a holdover from some of the
> atheistic ranks.  And of course many transhumanists are first atheists
> and so they take old attitudes with them as they join our circles.
> People on both sides of the fence need to be reminded about the
> teachings of Jesus that implored everyone to love their neighbor.  But
> it's of course much easier said than done.  I have seen Max More and
> Natasha Vita-More speak at some very emotionally and intellectually
> heated conferences, and I can attest to the fact that they are bridge
> builders (and not bridge burners) for transhumanism.

I agree that militant atheists are a real turn-off and bridge-building
will get much better results for everyone.

But I'd like to have a little nit-pick about the 'love your neighbour' bit.  :)

Assuming Jesus actually existed as a single person, he was a Jewish
teacher, preaching to the Jewish people, trying to reform the Jewish
faith. The 'love your neighbour' is a direct quote from the Torah -
from Jewish law.

Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but
love your neighbour as yourself. I am Jehovah (Lev. 19, 18).

This commandment referred to Israelites *only*, because it then goes on to say:
The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born.
Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am Jehovah, your
God! (Lev. 19, 34).
So friends of Israel are also neighbours.

But enemies of Israel were liable to be exterminated. It's not all
sweetness and light!  :)

It was Paul that rewrote Jesus' parochial teaching for his own wider
evangelical purposes in oppostion to the original Jewish followers of
Jesus. Paul was preaching after the destruction of Jerusalem to people
living under oppresive Roman rule. He changed the teaching to love
even your enemies, so that his followers would not revolt, but submit
to Roman domination and exploitation. i.e. 'Don't rock the boat'.

BillK