[ExI] Millions of tons to space

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 17:33:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it worth doing?
>
> It all depends on how long humans stay in charge.  If I was sure the
> singularity would get here before the energy crisis starves a
> substantial fraction of the population, I would not bother.  Surely
> thinking power that extreme can solve such simple problems as energy.

Perhaps, but wouldn't it be easier on them - our children, in whatever
sense - if we'd already fixed that problem by then?  Besides, if we fix
the problem ourselves, we don't have to bet on a near-term Singularity.

More importantly, wouldn't a global energy surplus be more conducive to
factors accelerating the Singularity?  Chicken and the egg, and there's
no serious question that we can tackle the energy problem, given enough
resources directed the right way.