[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 91, Issue 2

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 19:57:59 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Keith Henson  wrote:
<snip>
> Kelly, I really recommend reading Clark's research paper, Genetically
> capitalist.  Or his book or both.
>
> There are substantial differences in populations because of different
> past selection pressures.  It's not politically correct to say so of
> course.

Because it's wrong, of course.

Culture and institutions are far more important.

For example, you could try reading Capitalism and Material Life,
1400-1800 by Fernand Braudel. it is a massive 3-volume epic by a real
historian.

<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Fernand_Braudel>

Quote:
Braudel claimed that there are long-term cycles in the capitalist
economy which developed in Europe in the 12th century. Particular
cities, and later nation-states, follow each other sequentially as
centers of these cycles: Venice and Genoa in 13th through 15th
centuries (1250–1510), Antwerp in 16th century (1500–1569), Amsterdam
in 16th through 18th centuries (1570–1733), and London (and England)
in 18th and 19th centuries (1733–1896).