[ExI] US traffic deaths dropped to new low

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 07:49:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 5:38 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> I think the end game for reducing vehicle fatalities (esp the 21,000
> solo idiots) is fully autonomous vehicles. It will take a decade or so
> to get the technology common enough to save many lives, but I have
> hope that eventually, this number will go way down. My prediction is
> that we'll see some form of highway autonomy in the 2014 model year.

Self driving cars might start as an option, which the driver can
enable when wanted.
Like if you want to catch up with emails during your one-hour commute.

Autonomous cars will, of course, be recording everything that happens
so that in the event of an accident there will be exact evidence as to
who or what was the cause.  Just a more advanced version of the black
box recorders already in most new cars today.

Driving is regarded as 'self-expression' by many, so many drivers
would still prefer to drive themselves. It is a pity that the 'self'
they are expressing is an aggressive yahoo.

It would be really neat if you stagger out the bar after a celebration
and the car car says 'Forget it - I'm driving us home'.   :)

BillK