[ExI] Efficiency of wind power

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Apr 8 10:19:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 09:52:37PM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> 2011/4/7 Alfio Puglisi <alfio.puglisi at gmail.com>:
> > And in practice, wind power in Spain is already generating 21% of the total
> > electricity - and that's an average over the whole month of March 2011
>
> I have heard (on talk radio) that the pursuit of alternative energy
> sources in Spain has had a very large negative effect on job creation
> and other aspects of their economy. It makes sense that there would be
> problems if you put too much capital investment all at once. Does
> anyone have good data on that?

What cooked Spain's goose single-handedly was the real estate bubble.
That was basically the single source that powered the Spain's economy,
for a while. There have been some shenanigans with renewables as well
(illuminating photovoltaics with fossil power during the night rings
a bell?), but they were negligible in comparison.