[ExI] pale diet again: RE: It's not only the fittest who survive.

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 14:01:10 UTC 2011

BillK <pharos at gmail.com> asked:

> Worm stew!  Yummy!
>
> You've nearly persuaded me to the paleo diet. Any other
> tasty treats?

Baked Bullrush roots with your haunch of venison.  Bracket fungus, caterpillars (careful though, some of them are poisonous). Honeycomb with added protein (bee larvae).  Hawthorn berries (you need a lot. Not much flesh on them, but it's tasty).  And if you come across a dead animal that's just too whiffy to stomach, the maggots are usually good.

There's food all over the place, if you're not too fussy, and know which mushrooms/caterpillars/berries *not* to eat.

(btw, in case you were wondering, I do my shopping at the supermarket, same as anyone else)

I can second what Max said, about enjoying food.  I used to enjoy a big slice of fresh-baked bread with butter and honey on it, but that's *nowhere near* as good as a big hunk of medium-rare Bambi.

Come to think of it, it was mostly the butter and honey I liked, anyway!

And no, this can never be a diet for the majority, it wouldn't be sustainable.  The worst thing for people on a palaeo diet would be for loads of people to go on it, driving up the price of meat to insane levels.

Ben Zaiboc