[ExI] Efficiency of wind power.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Apr 12 14:44:11 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 01:06:13PM -0600, kellycoinguy at gmail.com wrote:

> Putting solar panels all over Arizona would not change
> the albedo of the earth very much, if it did you could compensate with lots of white paint... :-)

Painting the roofs white has actually been suggested as
mitigator for climate change. I frankly think it's a drop
in the bucket, with permafrost/clathrate anoxic event
outgassing and now also fracking.

Besides, everybody knows that we'll burn up the last
little drop and piece of dead dino we can get our hands
on before calling it a day.

> Are all of the black asphalt roofs changing the albedo
> substantially? If so then we already have a problem roughly equivqlent.

Actually, we have.

> I like moonbeams...  The algae columns are ready for deployment today.

Actually the Moon receives 12.3 PW solar flux, while we only need
15 TW, so moonbeams are a factor of 1000 in excess of humanity's current
needs.