[ExI] Fuel efficient car for anywhere but America

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 13 10:36:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 02:47:21PM -0700, spike wrote:

> 2011/4/12 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
>
> >> Nissan's hybrid, the leaf, is a good performer.
>
> >It's electric, not hybrid.
>
> >-Dave
>

> Oops, right, Altima hybrid rather.  The leaf is an all-electric plug-in.  I
> rented a hybrid Altima, goes like hell.  Didn't have it long enough to
> determine if it gets good fuel economy, but I got it going 80mph on the
> freeway, no problem at all.

The advantage of straight EV or advanced hybrids that they need only
to handle cruise, as peak comes from spike cache. Plus, regenerative
braking, smaller gear to no gears (hub motor, can be done with low
unsprung mass), advanced control with power electronics driven by
software, drive by wire, including ability to integrate powerful
computers for future autonomous navigation, and so on.

As soon as sufficiently reliable batteries get sufficiently cheap
the ICE is effectively finished, at least for commute and short
cruises. Current stock diesel cars do >1000 km on a single tank,
no way to do that with even advanced unobtainium batteries unless
in flimsy ultralites.