[ExI] US traffic deaths dropped to new low

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 07:30:50 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 7:40 AM, spike  wrote:
> The point of my bringing in the two websites citing numbers disparate by a
> factor of 8 is that the numbers you ask for are elusive.  They depend on how
> you count.  There isn't a clear right or wrong way to reduce messy human
> interactions to numbers.  Even counting homicides doesn't completely get at
> the problem, because plenty of what are defined as traffic fatalities are
> actually homicides.  Do they get double counted?  There isn't a clear answer
> to this one.

Spike,

80% of traffic fatalities are people in the vehicle. (Driver or passengers).
Roughly another 10% are motorcyclists and the other 10% are pedestrians.

Traffic fatalities are roughly 50% Urban and 50% Rural.
(Possibly surprising considering the difference in population size
between Rural and Urban).

Mass transit would not reduce the 50% Rural fatalities because the
population is too low to support mass transit, Rural people have to
drive themselves,

BillK