[ExI] Carbohydrates and energy

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 17:27:10 UTC 2011

On Apr 19, 2011 1:05 PM, "Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:

> Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote,
> > On Apr 19, 2011 8:23 AM, "Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com>
wrote:

> > > No faith at all.  I look at the scientific evidence.
> >
> > OK, then what scientific evidence do you have that your diet is healthy?
Has
> > it even been studied?
>
> You're joking, right?

No, I'm dead serious. You've come up with your own 'slow carb' diet based on
your own research and experience, and I'm sure you think it's super awesome,
but has that diet been subjected to long-term clinical trails? I don't think
so.

I'd like to see long-term trials of paleo/primal diets, too, but none have
been conducted, yet, to my knowledge.

> Just read all the sources you are pointing me
> toward.  They are full of refutations of the current scientific thinking
> that high-fat is bad.  They explain why all the doctors are wrong, why
> the scientific studies are wrong, why the glycemic index is an
> inaccruate measure, why bloodtests are an inaccurate measure, why animal
> studies don't apply to people, why paleontologists are misinterpretting
> the data, etc., etc.  There is no doubt that this stuff has been
> scientifically studied.  Nor is there any doubt what the current
> standard scientific consensus is.  The paleo diet hypothesis is still in
> the minority opinion among professionals and research, whether you like
> it or not.  It's ludicrous to ask if anybody has studied this stuff yet.

Can I ask what the heck that rant has to with my question?

> > I don't think Taubes argues that *maybe* more research it's
> > required...clearly he thinks it is required.
>
> "More research required" = FUD. ...

OK, cool. You clearly have an axe to grind. Knock yourself out, but I'm not
going to help you.

-Dave