[ExI] Gout and meat adaptations

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 14:17:50 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 1:47 PM, J. Stanton  wrote:
> First, the idea that meat (or purines in general) cause gout is an old myth.
>  Fructose is the primary driver of blood uric acid, and, therefore, gout:
> http://paleozonenutrition.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/gout-and-fructose/
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7219473.stm
> "Men who consume two or more sugary soft drinks a day have an 85% higher
> risk of gout compared with those who drink less than one a month, a study
> suggests." ... "Diet soft drinks did not increase the risk of gout but fruit
> juice and fructose rich fruits (apples and oranges) were associated with a
> higher risk, the researchers said."
>
> And an excellent overview of the real issues, which are fructose, ***high
> insulin***, and underhydration (includes links/references):
> http://www.emotionsforengineers.com/2009/09/causes-of-gout.html

These articles don't say that fructose causes gout.

They say that fructose might be one of many factors that aggravate gout.

I prefer to believe what sites like WebMD say, rather than paleo
support sites where almost everything can apparently be cured by a
paleo diet.

Gout often has nothing at all to do with diet. Genetics, obesity,
alcohol consumption, enzyme deficiency or even some medications can
cause or aggravate the condition.

BillK