[ExI] Skylon as first stage.

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 16:53:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> How much of the material necessary to create solar power satellites is
> easily obtainable from the moon?

100% after a few decades of building up an industrial base.

20-30% with minimal processing to make heat sink fluid (grind to find
dust) and none for space anchors where you can use any mass.

> Also, the rocket that runs from a laser based on the ground... could
> that work from the moon just as well? What would the propellant be?
> Since there are no airplanes on the moon, it seems like a bit
> safer/easier place for that system.

>From the moon you use a loop elevator.  It's a much better approach.

> I assume the water from the moon topic has been done here.
> http://www.ted.com/talks/bill_stone_explores_the_earth_and_space.html

The problem is the water is at the poles and the elevator comes down
in the center of the near side (500 km or so radius around the center
should work).

Trucks or railroads might work.

Keith