[ExI] World's biggest human brain map unveiled

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Apr 21 08:49:53 UTC 2011

natasha at natasha.cc wrote:

> What is the "leading edge technology" that was used to create this
> computerized brain map?  Does this mean that the combination of MRI,
> DTI, microarry and ISH, form this leading edge technology?
>
> But then it says it this is a "gene map" and that RNA was obtained
> through slicing and dicing.

The Allen brain map is one project, and they are using anatomical
sampling from two human brains. Not the complete slice and dice I would
favor, but taking a sample from roughly every region and measuring what
genes are expressed.

http://human.brain-map.org/content/WholeBrainMicroarray_WhitePaper_March2011.pdf?1301097406

The conenctome project is separate.
http://iic.seas.harvard.edu/research/the-connectome/