[ExI] solar is looking better all the time: was RE: Efficiency of wind power

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Apr 21 14:52:01 UTC 2011

>... On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
Subject: Re: [ExI] solar is looking better all the time: was RE: Efficiency
of wind power

>...On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 08:56:03AM -0700, spike wrote:

>>... I have a friend who is installing a hundred kWh peak on a ranch in
Oregon to

>...100 kWp is a reasonably big installation for a residential one. What was
the price tag, if it's not a secret? Which company did it, and does he have
30+ years manufacturer's warranty, and does the installation company offer
warranty of their own?...

I don't have any of these details, but he is the kind of guy who does all
his financial calculations carefully (masters degree in electrical
engineering.)  His installation isn't primarily for residential.  His PVs
are for farm use, which makes it attractive because of it actually provides
it's own load leveling: irrigation goes on when the sun shines.

>>... run pumps.  I am concerned, his brother is worried, he is terrified.

>...Current commercial systems are turnkey and give zero trouble.
The worst that could happen is hail damage. Is his system insured, and up to
which hail grain size? Make sure he's covered.

Hail isn't considered a threat out in that part of the desert (eastern
Oregon.)  That's a good question however: we occasionally get hail in
central west coast, thrice already this year, all pea size and smaller.

My friend's PV system is experimental: they want to see how well it works
out there in anticipation of adding enough to run all the center pivots and
wheel lines.  If you want to get an idea of what this is, go to Google Maps
and look out along John Day Highway (26) out north and west of Jamieson
Oregon.