[ExI] Alzheimer

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:51:23 UTC 2011

On 22 April 2011 12:57, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:18 AM, J. Stanton  wrote:
> <snip>
> > Takeaway: more dietary cholesterol, more DHA, less n-6 seed oils, more
> > saturated fat (with emphasis on coconut oil), less carbs.
>
> So the paleo diet cures Alzheimer's as well now!  Really???!!!

"Cure" may be too strong a word. But I had already thought myself that one's
body biochemistry, besides being possibly a risk factor, is quite likely to
influence one way or another the evolution of the disease *and/or of its
symptoms and compensatory mechanisms* - as it does with practically
everything which happens therein. And of course nutritional choices is one
major factor which influences that biochemistry.

How about going to something like this instead:
> <http://www.alz.org/index.asp>
>
> The Alzheimer's Association is the leading, global voluntary health
> organization in Alzheimer care and support, and the largest private,
> nonprofit funder of Alzheimer research.
>
> See:
> <http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_causes_risk_factors.asp>
>
> Quote:
> Scientists have identified factors that increase the risk of
> Alzheimer’s. The most important risk factors—age, family history and
> heredity—can't be changed, but emerging evidence suggests there may be
> other factors we can influence.

Thank you very much. I will check all that.

Unfortunately, your quotations seem essentially to concern risk factors and
strategies allegedly effective in preventing Alzheimer, but do not make any
assumptions, not even far-fetched ones, as to what might be one way or
another useful to somebody who already *has* Alzheimer.

--
Stefano Vaj