[ExI] Alzheimer

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 21:03:03 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 6:57 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:18 AM, J. Stanton  wrote:
> <snip>
>> Takeaway: more dietary cholesterol, more DHA, less n-6 seed oils, more
>> saturated fat (with emphasis on coconut oil), less carbs.
>>

> So the paleo diet cures Alzheimer's as well now!  Really???!!!
>
> You are really straining your credibility by quoting from these fringe
> paleo support sites.
>
> If I wanted to know about Alzheimer's I wouldn't go to fringe sites.
> You will find sites supporting every kooky cure in the world if you
> search hard enough.
>
> How about going to something like this instead:
> <http://www.alz.org/index.asp>

### The problem is, the mainstream AD research community has been
barking up the same wrong tree for the last 25 years or so, with
hardly any signs of recovery. About 90% of AD research is done on
under the assumption that amyloid is the direct cause of AD, and of
course all the kooky "cures" coming out of this work (anti-amyloid
antibodies, secretase inhibitors, etc.) are completely useless, no
matter how many tens of billions of dollars are thrown against the
problem.

You may be more likely to prevent AD by following paleo diet than by
paying attention to the likes of Dennis Selkoe, or John Hardy. At
least, ketone bodies are known to improve cognition in AD patients, so
inducing ketosis by low carb/high fat diet has a sliver of
experimental evidence in its favor, although I am not knowledgeable
enough to unequivocally suggest or reject it. My gut feeling is, low
calories(from any source)/high exercise is the best approach.

Rafal