[ExI] The Great Silence again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:41:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Richard Loosemore wrote:

> Why would it be stasis?  Admitedly, a lot of people would have to do it
> together if they wanted company, or the same technique as above would be
> used, with a split and rejoining later.

Subjective stasis.  The outside world is frozen because of the high
speed posthuman life-forms.
If they launched a rocket, the civ would watch it for a million years
(subjective) as it appeared to slowly crawl away from earth orbit. If
you were on that rocket you would miss out on millions of years of
Matrix life.

> Why?  I can already think of leaving it.  If I can, why would it be so
> impossible for them?  I suspect they will feel limited if they find
> themselves stuck in a situation like that.

Heh!  :)  People today start to have a nervous breakdown if they lose
the web connection for a day.

Consider a posthuman civ where they live in the Matrix. You'd die if
you lost connection.

BillK