[ExI] "Reality Check," a book of predictions

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Apr 25 18:38:46 UTC 2011

On 4/25/2011 1:14 PM, John Grigg wrote:

> if I ever write something substantial, I want you to be the
> editor/proofreader.

I know that most people now moan about "punctuation nazis" (or
complaining "That's just *semantics*" although semantics is about *what
is meant*) as if being one's a bad thing. But for some reason I'm
especially troubled by the growing incapacity of smart people to know
the difference between it is and its. Maybe if nobody notices any long
it stops mattering, like the really stupid widespread belief that "hoi
polloi" means "rich and stuck-up" when it means the exact opposite, or
that "momentarily" means "fairly soon" instead of "very very
briefly"--but hey, I'll get over it momentarily, although probably not
for long.

Damien Broderick