[ExI] How slow is capitalism?

Jones Murphy morphy at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 27 08:51:02 UTC 2011

Oh, there are even more concretely consumable forms of money in use in
poor areas of the world right now, such as salt, cattle, and various
grains. Gold and silver are money in relatively sophisticated
societies where people can pour energy into mining and refining. A
complete societal collapse could destroy much(most?) of the value of
gold and silver as much as it could destroy the value of paper money.
If power fails the least of our problems will be Wall St and the
banking system. People will starve in billions.

For some odd reason you left out the cheapest form of power generation
known yet, geothermal. Known reserves are already sufficient to power
humanity for thousands of years at wildly optimistic growth rates.
Alas, grass-roots support for subsidizing oil and gas over geothermal
among right winger voters(including right-wing Democrats) remains
extremely strong.