[ExI] How slow is capitalism?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 27 14:30:53 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 02:57:17PM +0200, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> I am philosophically wary of ground-based solar power, even though it

Ah, but look at the numbers. These will tend to be convincing.

> may certainly make sense in some circumstances (to warm yourself on
> the beach after a good swimming, eg). If anything because it plays
> with limited resources

The great fusion plant in the sky which produces 4 MT/s of
flux, of which Earth intercepts 2 kg/s? Which is what,
2000 Hiroshimas or two Tsar Bombas going off each second,
for billions of years? Sure it's limited, but for pretty
high values of limited. Definitely far less limited than
the dead dinos we just peaked on.

> of rather marginal returns...

EROEI of 40:1, and still climbing. Grid parity coming
soon.