[ExI] How slow is capitalism?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Apr 28 08:36:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:42:55AM -0700, F. C. Moulton wrote:

> Yes this means that people go to medical school to become doctors and
> then spend the rest of their lives writing novels instead of practicing
> medicine.   And people study physics and engineering and then spend
> their lives in finance.  That is what individual choice is all about.

I agree that we have to be able to make choices, including bad choices,
both personally and collectively, and should experience all the consequences
of having made these choices. Unfortunately, the planet is too small for
some of these choices, so you need more space to be able to decouple and
recover from the worse ones.