[ExI] Efficiency of algorithmic trading

Mr Jones mrjones2020 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 19:56:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Jones Murphy <morphy at alumni.caltech.edu>wrote:

> 2011/4/29 Mr Jones <mrjones2020 at gmail.com>:
> > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Jones Murphy <morphy at alumni.caltech.edu
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Mr. Jones, your name is impressive, but your argument is not. If what
> >> you're saying is true, how do you explain the dramatic redistribution
> >> of wealth from rich to poor which occurred from FDR-Carter(scroll down
> >> to see the graph of the % of America's wealth held by the top 1%):
> >>
> >> http://extremeinequality.org/?page_id=8
> >
> > To which I direct you
> > here. http://www.stanford.edu/group/scspi/cgi-bin/facts.php
>
> You just directed me to even more documentation that the current
> record-breaking concentration of wealth and opportunity is not
> permanent,

Nothing is permanent.

> but is a product of the Reagan legacy,

Yeah, Reagan's to blame for it all.

> which has reversed
> the FDR legacy and then some. Thanks! So public policy does matter.

I wasn't aware anyone was claiming policy doesn't matter.

> You rest my case.

I'm not sure what your case is.  That's it's reasonable for CEO's to make
over a thousand times an avg. worker?  That advanced schemes to skim
bigger/faster is good for the masses?  That the world looks ok from your
Parisian Penthouse, and you sleep comfortably on your $10k bed?
MY case, is that inequality is anything but under control.

I'd go further, but I've got a dinner to go to.  Perhaps later.  But we both
know it's a waste of time.

> >> And do you seriously believe that Bernie Sanders, Dennis Kucinich and
> >> the Progressive Caucus(about 30% of Dems) are just like the Dems on
> >> their right, or even worse the Republicans?
> >
> > There are a few who're worth their weight, but most politicians are
> > incompetent at best; most tend towards Sociopath.  Those few (Kucinich et
> > al) are often ineffectual against said moneyed interests (Koch bros,
> AIPAC,
> > Big Corps, etc).
>
> The progressive pols are ineffectual because they are now vastly
> outnumbered,

More like out-financed.

> thanks to the voters, fewer than 20% of whom now consider
> themselves progressives.

Most are too busy worrying about the stupid wedding, or who'll win idol.

> That's not a problem with politicians. It's a
> problem with the electorate.

Yes.  I don't disagree entirely here.  Certainly the lot of willful idiots
has something to do with this.  Politicians have merely become adept
predators, in a target rich environment.