[ExI] Efficiency of algorithmic trading

Jones Murphy morphy at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Apr 30 07:28:26 UTC 2011

I agree, Olga. I have yet to see any evidence of superior
enlightenment here, and I am unsubscribing from this group because I'm
having to autoblock so many participants for nonsense and bigotry,
much like I would in any average forum. So far I've just seen a lot of
hierarchism, absurd claims of meritocracy in societies which
horrifically and rigidly stratified, crude and aggressive tribalism
and racism etc.

The idea that the budget deficit is some great and insoluble problem
is nonsense. Raising taxes on the wealthiest back to what they were
during the peak of America's economic growth and upward mobility would
easily cure the deficit by itself. More modest tax increases coupled
with slashing the insane military budget to some small sane multiple
of the next biggest(currently China's) would also take care of the
budget deficit and pay down the national debt very quickly. The
illusion of a budget deficit and national debt is created sustained by
the lowest federal taxes in 80 years, since the low  low taxes leading
into the Great Crash.

The idea that CEO's today are working so much harder(at 400plus times
average worker pay) than CEO's when Reagan took power(40 times average
worker pay) is false. CEO's are not working ten times harder now than
30 years ago. This is rank hierarchism again, and a false claim of
meritocracy where it does not exist. I know. I'm a CEO of a small
hedge fund, and in my own career have worked with and done business
with a lot of CEO's of very big financial companies whose names you'd
instantly recognize. Many are very talented, and many are not talented
in any business sense but are great "survivor" contestants good at
scheming and backstabbing their way to the top. Virtually none of them
are worth 400 times what average workers are making. I wouldn't pay
it, as a shareholder or director. It's just too easy to find talented
people to replace them at a much lower price than these absurd
multiples. And in fact that's what is happening in most of the world.
The US is a striking exception, and this cannot last without severe
negative consequences.