[ExI] Efficiency of algorithmic trading

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Apr 30 14:30:26 UTC 2011

Subject: Re: [ExI] Efficiency of algorithmic trading

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 10:58 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Aside: even in this far-more-than-average enlightened group ...

and

>> I do urge us all to refrain from insulting each other's favorite
political systems, or making sweeping generalizations regarding
>> libertarians, conservatives, liberals, or anything else.  We can do
better than that here.

>...Spike, since you made the sweeping generalization ;)) about this
"far-more-than-average" enlightened group, I would love to know what it is
that makes you (or anyone else) here think this...

I compare with my other internet groups.  Do let me assure you.

Regarding recent posts, one can get a pretty good idea of where a poster
stands politically if they conflate two of the three major divisions:
liberal, libertarian, conservative.  As Fred pointed out, libertarian is
actually a huge collection of disparate things.  The same can be said of
liberal and conservative.  We saw the notion posted here that a libertarian
and a conservative is actually the same thing, in every way that really
matters.  That comment says more about the poster than either the
libertarian or the conservative.

Consider this thought experiment.

The true conservative says: the liberal and the libertarian are the really
the same thing, because they all allow abortion, think the earth is older
than 6000 years, but it doesn't matter because they will all burn in the
lake of fire, etc.  (Yes I am being snarky, but this is me.)

The true liberal says: the conservative and the libertarian are really the
same thing because they both want to starve grandmas and they are all a
bunch of racists anyway.

The true libertarian says: the conservative and the liberal are really the
same thing, because they are big government types driving the bus of state
towards the edge of the cliff, not arguing about which way to turn the
steering wheel but rather how hard to stomp the gas pedal.  One says to the
floor, the other says beyond.