[ExI] The Great Silence again

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 17:00:22 UTC 2011

On 30 April 2011 17:38, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> One problem I see with our starmoving scheme is keeping the Dyson cloud in
> orbit. When it reflects the star's light it will also tend to expand/move
> ahead, and we need to restore it to it's original position relative to the
> star. That seems to require some work.

Shouldn't a relatively rigid, highly symmetric Dyson sphere stay in
position even without moving, since both gravity and light pressure
would work equally in all directions?

I have always wondered, however, if such a sphere built by the
re-arrangement of the non-stellar matter of our system would find its
internal surface at a distance from the sun suitable to life... I have
no idea, also because I expect that the internal temperature of a
Dyson star would probably be fairly different from that of a planetary
surface at the same distance...

--
Stefano Vaj