[ExI] [GRG] NewAbs: The Phenotype of IQ is Polygenic x 1, 000 Genes

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Aug 11 02:23:34 UTC 2011

On 8/10/2011 7:50 PM, Mike Dougherty wrote:

> Are they special in any other way than their relative novelty at the
> time of encoding?

Th obvious first guess is that they lay down the foundations of all your
subsequent memories, and are therefore heavily redundant in the brain
and the hardest to damage. But I was looking for an adaptation or
exaptation account as a contender or at least player.

> Suppose your daily grind.  Not much new happens, so there's not a lot
> of "fresh" learning.  I kidnap you and take you to a new country that
> doesn't speak your language and leave you without money, without
> passport and without internet access.  You're smart enough to find
> your way home.  40 years later, I bet you are able to recover with
> surprising detail the travails of your ordeal.

Possibly so, and that's the kind of test I guess a neuroscientist would
apply.

Anders, any thoughts on this?

Damien Broderick