[ExI] Old still true

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 18:12:19 UTC 2011

On another list I post on someone commented:

> I'm not concerned about 2000. I'm concerned about 2012.

With good reason.

I have made a case (Evolutionary psychology, memes and the origin of
war) that evolutionary selection in the stone age is behind popular
support for irrational leadership.

It's a moderately involved model, but the net result is that stone age
tribes were "better off" in terms of gene survival if they fought when
resources got tight (instead of starving).  So what got selected are
the genes that shape psychological mechanisms such as those that cause
xenophobic memes to thrive in economic hard times.