[ExI] Captchas

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:28:47 UTC 2011

It's just nice to have variety.  If you want to really be the person you are
exuding, John, then you might have to make more verbal concessions than
you'd like to, lest you are seen as a hypocrite.  Also u have a shitty
dictionary

On Aug 15, 2011 11:37 AM, "john clark" <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

On Mon, 8/15/11, Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com> wrote:

>  "Your electron X will never e...

BULLSHIT. Effect means a change brought about by an action. Electron X
brings about a change to the  Schrodinger wave function of electron Y, and
that brings about a change in the probability distribution of electron Y,
and probability can be detected by experiment.

>   "I can guarantee that your electron has *affected* the other because
that means "to cause a ch...

If it's guaranteed then I want my money back. My dictionary says "affected"
means touched by (and the two electrons never touch) or influenced by
external factors. So how can I change something without influencing it, or
influence something without changing it? An experiment that can discriminate
between those two things would be most interesting, so tell me all about it!
And then you'd get to tell physicists that they've been misusing the word
"effect" for centuries; in fact if one electron can't effect another
electron then the word "effect" should NEVER be used for anything. Ever. And
then we would just have one word for the same thing, "affect"; and that
would be fine with me because that would just be equivalent to changing the
spelling of the word "effect" to "affect". I'd get used to it eventually.

"The verb "affect" means [...]"

As I said before, both effect and affect can be either a noun or a verb. And
before you engage in more logical contortions to try to justify the need for
both these words ask yourself one question, do you honestly think that this
mythical effect-affect distinction is needed for clarity of language?
Suppose Everett's quantum interpretation turns out to be true and in one
universe a cocoanut falls on your head and it effects you, and in the other
universe a cocoanut falls on your head and it affects you, how are these two
universes different?

 John K Clark