[ExI] bradbury nodes

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Aug 17 21:11:36 UTC 2011

>... On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
>
>> Silicon substrate is still our best technology for interplanetary
space.... what I have in mind is some type of on-chip
>> redundancy which would allow a SEU-impacted* chip to recover and restore
corrupted data.  spike

>...Since it would take tens or hundreds of thousands of years for
interstellar travel, and assuming there is as much troublesome radiation
between stars as near them, there would have to be a LOT of redundancy...

Agreed.  An interesting question arises for interplanetary space.  Larger
components are less vulnerable to SEUs, but smaller ones allow greater
redundancy.  So is there an optimum size for interstellar travel?  I think
there is, but I do not know what it is that size.  Is that size dependent on
the length of the trip?  I think it does, but I do not know the length of
that trip.

>... to ensure/assure (are these twin words?) ... -Kelly

You win the prize Kelly.  Not only did you provide twin words, you gave us
triplet words: insure/ensure/assure.  The sure triplets.  Off with their
heads.