[ExI] Discontent with the path physics is taking

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:55:20 UTC 2011

On 17 August 2011 21:56, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I feel like
> working too far ahead of the curve is counter productive, and it
> certainly isn't helpful to business or the betterment of mankind.

I suspect that, ultimately, few theoretical *and* technological
breakthroughs originate from from short-term rentability or concerns
for the betterment of mankind, rather than from cultural
"incandescence", something of which I see scant traces in our age.

In this respect, the increasingly evident impasse of contemporary
physics may just be the reflection of a deeper civilisational problem.
I do not care much that string theory may be untestable - nothing
wrong in having as well a philosophy about phenomena, we always did -
but in sociological terms it appears quite symptomatic of an era
dominated by byzantinism, obsession for technical virtuosism, academic
enforcement of orthodoxy, etc.

--
Stefano Vaj