[ExI] fun essay by penn jillette

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 20:29:45 UTC 2011

2011/8/19 spike <spike66 at att.net>

> ** **

> *From:* extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org [mailto:
> extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] *On Behalf Of *Dave Sill
> *…*****
>
>  ****
>
> Isaac’s generation will mostly grow up completely unaware of television.
> It’s dead, Jim.****
>
> ** **
>
>  It's still a good source of content. Youtube is great, but it can't
> currently fund a production like "Game of Thrones"…-Dave****
>
> **
>
> Ja, but I see the lack of controllability as an inherent show stopper for
> the post y2k generation.  They just will not relate to it, very much
> analogous to how you and I never took up with radio dramas.

I think you overestimate the post y2k generation's desire for being able to
control the story line. A great story doesn't require the listener's ability
to influence it. Hamlet, for example, wouldn't be improved by having a
handful of alternative endings that the reader/participant could select.
It's not even necessarily improved by being rendered as a play or movie vs.
being read. And games aren't automatically more entertaining than stories.

I never took up with radio dramas because the medium was dead, having been
supplanted by TV.

>   The advanced online gaming community provides plenty of content, with
> user input.

Gaming can be great, but it's not the same thing as video entertainment.

-Dave