[ExI] ai class at stanford

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 13:50:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> pretty amazing things in the Excel environment. I wrote a Real Time
> Data server that fetched values off of the Internet and inserted them
> into cells. It was object oriented, and it was pretty fun and cool.
> There is so much to understand about Excel that I doubt there are very
> many people who fully understand all you can do. I certainly don't.

I started working on an adventure game in Excel 5.  I was using
multiple sheets for terrain, characters/monsters, user-centered
close-up.  The terrain sheet was initially set to black on black and
zoomed to <10% so thousands of cells were in the viewport, as the 9x9
user-view showed each of the terrain cells they'd change to black on
white, revealing a simple automap.  I started working on moving the
NPC's.  I was using keyboard events to drive turns, so all action in
the game was predicated upon player action, so it turned into quite a
challenge.  Somewhere along the way I lost that workbook, so I can't
even share the unfinished product.  :(