[ExI] Discontent with the path physics is taking

scerir scerir at alice.it
Fri Aug 26 17:10:49 UTC 2011

Dennis May (fwd by Dan):
I do have a horse in the race and it is certainly true that I view string theory as
interesting
mathematics with little value in physics - certainly not enough value to justify it having
taken over virtually all of theoretical physics everywhere in the world. The
popularizations
that are still published are virtually all in lock step with perhaps one partially
interesting book
every 5 years or so about all you can hope for.

# Ed Witten in these lecture pointed out many good (but also bad) reasons
to follow the string theory approach.
http://www.iop.org/resources/videos/lectures/page_44292.html

But I can agree. All that sometimes seems boring and useless.

Not by chance new principles sometimes appear in the literature,
like this "principle of mediocrity" :-)
http://arxiv.org/abs/1108.4990
But the paper by Vilenkin seems good food for thought.