[ExI] Marshall Brain on the astounding near future potential of computer managers

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 03:54:15 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
> More believable than the story.  (For example: robots starting to tranq
> people to corral them "for their own protection", and tranq anyone who
> tries to travel anyway, with nary a lawsuit about the assault?  A sci-fi
> yarn that purports to be about a plausible future must present a
> believable means by which we might get there.)

The story read like an advertisement to send money to someone so "this
doesn't happen to you"... I wonder if the person named in the story is
a real person working on just such a visionary future.

There are very strong political undertones to the story... which made
it slightly less enjoyable for me. I did get all the way through
though... It seems foolish that the "rich" would build robots capable
of enslaving them just as soon as the robots became intelligent enough
to do their job... soon, there wouldn't be anyone rich enough, due to
the exponential nature of non-human intelligence.

-Kelly