[ExI] ai class at stanford

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 05:54:51 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM, G. Livick <glivick at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> It appears that optimal solutions are being proposed for
> requirements not yet known

I'd say it appears correctly.

There was, actually, a chain of discussion that lead from AI through LISP -
"it looks like LISP programming will be used for this class" - to Excel - "I
don't know LISP, but I do know Excel" - to object oriented programming
in spreadsheets - "speaking of Excel, isn't each spreadsheet kind of like
an object?".  But that did deviate from talking about what this class
specifically will cover (specifically excluding related concepts).

> extremely dull stuff for anyone mainly interested in the Great Oz, and not
> the man behind the curtain.

I am, in fact, interested in the man behind the curtain.  I would not mind
being the man, in and of itself.  Short of that, I'd be content to build the
man, skip the curtain, and settle for "merely" advanced but understood
technology.  (To those who can't be bothered to look at the man even when
he's standing in plain sight, it looks like magic anyway.)