[ExI] destructive uploading was AI class

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Aug 30 18:49:02 UTC 2011

On 08/30/2011 10:51 AM, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> On 30 August 2011 18:28, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com
> <mailto:atymes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     What Eugen said: there are good odds that the first upload will be
>     created from a cryonics patient.  Another possible scenario is
>     Turing's thought experiment of replacing the brain one part at a
>     time (he specified one neuron at a time) until you eventually have a
>     complete upload.
>

> You cannot go any more "destructive" than that.
>
> So, instead of trying to distill some metaphysical differences between
> the Moravec process and the Turing one, I suspect that it would be
> better to admit frankly that whenever there is no "gene whisper" to
> lead us, the metaphors we choose to adhere to as far as "survival" and
> its definitions are concerned are fundamentally arbitrary and/or
> culturally determined.

The question itself seems arbitrary and meaningless.   Perhaps instead
of asking "is the upload me, or even legally me" it would be better to
ask, is that upload person given [sufficiently] full rights and can I
declare it my primary heir?    What you feel about whether that person
is "you" or not is a somewhat orthogonal and rather subjective matter.

- samantha