[ExI] ai class at stanford

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Tue Aug 30 20:09:53 UTC 2011

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011, spike wrote:

> Have we any Lisp hipsters here?
>
> I have been getting back up to speed on my Python coding, but I never did
> study Lisp, and it looks confusing.  I know we have a bunch of code jockeys
> and gurus of various scripting languages, but who here knows from Lisp?  I
> know Microsloth VBA and have written a lot of code in that, but it is nearly
> useless for AI and isn't object oriented: it doesn't allow user-defined
> functions.  Who are our professional coders?  Samantha?  Others?

I am about nine days behind my mailbox wrt reading emails :-).

I am somewhere beyond the newbie in Common Lisp.

Python could have been Lisp in the old days but it is totally different
beast nowadays (i.e. requires thinking in different way). This is not
necessarily a bad thing, and I guess just one Common Lisp is quite a lot.
I used to do some Python but right now I reserve it for things that are
too awkward (for my taste) when expressed in CL.

All above are just MHO (just in case someone would like to argue that
Python is something while CL is something else or even the same).

Regards,
Tomasz Rola