[ExI] ai class at stanford

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:55:16 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can live with well enough losing the quotes. Let's go with Alan
> Turing's standard. Well enough in this case means that the simulation
> would be indisinguishable from you by people who know you well. That
> is, the Adrian upload would have to be able to fool your friends into
> thinking it is really you for some period of time to pass the test. Is
> that a little less fuzzy?

Quite.  Sorry, the specific phrasing you used was strongly suggestive of
those who attempt to deny rational discourse.  I thought it might have
been a mistake/accident in your case, since your other posts have been
quite coherent.  That's why I explained why I was ignoring the rest.

> what I'm
> proposing is that the test for a successful upload would be that your
> friends could not distinguish between you and the upload for some
> period of time, to be determined. I think that is sufficiently
> rigorous for at least some purposes.

I agree with that, where "your friends" is further defined as "the people
who know you best and are the most able - among anyone - to tell you
from an impostor".